[Development] Qt3D features plan ?

Massimo Callegari massimocallegari at yahoo.it
Sat Mar 29 14:08:15 CET 2014

Sean, thank you very much for your quick reply.
> Nice! Interesting use-case.
I could tell you more about this. Here's a stunning video of what you can find on the market:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9PGQfvYH5M

Problem of those visualizers is that they're mostly Windows only and they are very expensive. I want to do something open source and cross platform.
As you can see in the video, there are only spotlights, volumetric casting, shadow casting and texture mapping on the light emitters. Very nice huh ? :)
In addition to that, smoke simulation and lasers would be amazing too.
> The exact features will depend partly upon your platform. If you are
> using a desktop-based system then yes we are aiming to support deferred
> rendering or in fact any other rendering technique. Unfortunately ES 2
> doesn't support multiple render targets.
I absolutely understand. I don't expect much from the ES platforms. I would say my project needs at least OpenGL 3.3 on a desktop version.
Your description of the system flexibility is encouraging but with my question I was wondering how high level functionalities will be made available to developers.
Will we have to have a good knowledge of OpenGL shaders or will Qt3D take care of them ?
For example, will shadow casting be a flag of the QML Light item or something like that ?
How will I apply a texture to a light emitter ?
I'm sorry if these questions might sound stupid, but I'm no OGL expert at all and I know (cause I tried) how easy one can get lost into shaders. A library that can make the hard tasks transparent is indeed a winning solution, so dummy users like me can easily write a 3D application without having an OpenGL knowledge that can take years to be acquired.
Also, as we live in the rapid prototyping era, anyone would be able to show what they have in mind without being a scientist :)
Thanks again !
Massimo