[Development] XDG icon theme support

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Mon Mar 31 10:18:20 CEST 2014

On Saturday 29 March 2014 14:56:16 Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ruslan Nigmatullin wrote:
> > If the changes will be done and accepted is there any hope to have them in
> > Qt 5.2.*
>
> It's a bug fix rather than a new feature, so yeah, I'd expect it could be
> included in a subsequent bugfix release (assuming there is one).

No.
Bugfixes don't go in a patch release unless they meet some criteria.
The reason is that we must do our best effort not to make a patch release
worse than the previous version.
The worse things that can happen to an application developer is a regression:
something that was working before and is no longer working.  Any kind of
behaviour change might be a regression for someone.
Any patch may have unknown unwanted side effect.
For this reason we limit the bugs that are fixed in patch release to critical
bugs (such as crashes or security issues) and regressions from past releases.

In this case, this is not a regression.  The bug always was there and user
lived with it, it is therefore not critical.
Also, it is clearly a behaviour change: an application developer might have
relied on the fact that we fallback on the fallback theme first or on the
fallback icon.

The criteria are documented there:
http://qt-project.org/wiki/Branch-Guidelines#8321dab5f8fcb86ed31375494ce0a743

Remember that "stable" means something that is not changing, not something
that has no bugs.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org