[Development] Modules in qtbase (was: Re: new "debugsupport" module and API)

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Tue May 13 12:19:35 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 06:01:00AM +0000, Knoll Lars wrote:
> Actually I was thinking about splitting a few more things out. In addition
> to the ones mentioned above, I believe we would benefit from splitting
> QtNetwork out into it’s own module. The reason is that QtNetwork is
> responsible for many of the failing CI runs due to the inherent
> instability on the network tests. Splitting out the module should help
> make many of the qtbase integrations go more smoothly.

well, who has not thought about it ...

anyway, as others pointed out, cutting down the implicit revdeps
resulting from the modules being lumped together will certainly increase
the problems further down the line.

the root cause of that is obviously our rather poor test coverage.
in fact, when i was serving as the gerrit staging monkey a few weeks
ago, i found that only a marginal number of fixes actually does come
with an autotest. what's more, i observed that the external regulars are
on average actually more careful about that than digians. whoopsie.

i proposed a concept for addressing the integration unreliability months
ago here, and it was accepted by the ci team. it "just" needs to be
implemented ...
until then, i suggest we keep the status quo to not risk messing things
up even more.

what's become of the new network test server, anyway?