[Development] Qmake Ninja generator

Taylor Braun-Jones taylor at braun-jones.org
Mon May 19 19:22:54 CEST 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM, André Somers <andre at familiesomers.nl>wrote:

> Adam Strzelecki schreef op 19-5-2014 12:38:
> >> I would recommend using CMake - it has a stable Ninja generator, which
> >> _does_ make building Qt projects much faster on Windows.
> > I wonder if can CMake build Qt SDK itself?
> >
> > It is somehow parallel to Qmake, isn't it. If so, would it make sense to
> make Qt to depreciate Qmake at some point in favor of CMake?
> >
> The discussion on CMake has been done before I think... I don't think Qt
> will switch to CMake, seeing that effort is being spend to develop QBS.

I wasn't around for this discussion, but I'd be curious to know how that
discussion unfolded. Launching *yet another* build system seems to be
symptomatic of Not Invented Here syndrome. I'll be the first to admit that
CMake can be a little ugly in places, but it does the job it's meant to do
and it's getting better with every release. It's adoption among open source
projects is fairly large and growing which gives it the backing of a very
large community.