[Development] Proposal: "rebranding" QMF as QtMail

Mathias Hasselmann mathias at taschenorakel.de
Thu May 29 10:24:39 CEST 2014

Am 10.02.2014 17:02, schrieb Robin Burchell:
> Hello folks,
>
> After some build system reworking recently and a little discussion
> amongst the interested parties (Matt Vogt, Valerio), I'd like to
> propose renaming QMF (Qt Messaging Framework) to QtMail with the
> longer term goal of making it a module of Qt properly - no longer a
> labs project.
Making it a proper Qt module? That's awesome news.
> QMF's naming is historical: QMF originally handled other types of
> messages than purely mail (SMS/MMS also, for instance). This has not
> been the case for quite some time - QMF now handles *only* email, so
> this renaming makes the whole thing sound a bit less meta and less
> awkward.
I don't mind the naming: The data model clearly is email oriented,
therefore expressing that in the class names is fine. What bothers me:
Do you plan keeping support for other message types, or did you even
consider extending it? I am thinking of Kolab's  IMAP server that stores
contacts and calendars in dedicated IMAP folders. Even more I think of
instant messaging: As a spare time project I am experimenting with an
unified EMail + XMPP client right now and considered implementing a XMPP
plugin for QMF/QtMail, so that I could benefit from its abstractions.
Instead of hiding QMF and XMPP behind my own, rather ad-hoc abstraction
layer.

Ciao,
Mathias