[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 10 00:57:19 CET 2014

Gianluca wrote:
> Phonon ?!?!
> Please can you give us some links to this Phonon for Qt5 ?

https://phonon.kde.org/ (some of the linked wiki information is outdated)
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kdesupport/phonon
http://download.kde.org/stable/phonon/
Build the latest release with -DPHONON_BUILD_PHONON4QT5:BOOL=ON to use Qt 5.

> On which platform has been ported Phonon ?

Basically, everything either GStreamer (1.x for Phonon 4.8) or VLC (libvlc)
can be compiled for should work.

There used to be some other backends too:
https://userbase.kde.org/Phonon#Backend_libraries
but none of them is actively maintained, so they will probably not work with
the latest Phonon, especially on Qt 5.

> I really need a good multimedia module for android and iOS.

The GStreamer project supports both Android and iOS, so in principle, you
should be able to build GStreamer and Phonon for them. (For GStreamer, there
are also prebuilt binaries provided by the GStreamer project at
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/pkg/ .) VLC also supports VLC the
application on Android and iOS, not sure about usage as a library though
(which is what matters for Phonon). GStreamer is only a library. But whether
anybody has tested Phonon on those platforms yet, I don't know.

In your case, you say in the other thread that you're using Qt Quick, so
unfortunately, you'll probably have to wait until they get their Qt Quick
support sorted out (or help with that yourself). There is some code in the
"declarative" subdirectory, but it is not built by default (only if
-DPHONON_BUILD_DECLARATIVE_PLUGIN:BOOL=ON is passed to CMake), it only
targets QML 1 at this time, and I don't know whether and how well it works.

I know that QML / Qt Quick support is on the Phonon developers' radar and
I'm sure they would appreciate any help with getting that done.

        Kevin Kofler