[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger at freyther.de
Wed Nov 12 23:17:57 CET 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:37:13PM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:

Good Evening Thiago,

> We should provide scripts for people to test their GStreamers, so we can
> isolate problems. If it is on GStreamer's side, we "punt" the problem to the
> Linux distribution and wash our hands off. That will make people choose decent
> Linux distributions, even for embedded systems (like Yocto). If they can't do
> that, they have the option of throwing money at the problem and paying
> consultants to fix the problem.

I haven't done consumer products for the last two years and I would
be happy if the following has changed. I had to listen things like:
"GDB is not supported on this device" (because the SoC vendor didn't
put a binary into the "SDK")...

Anyway, if "gst-launch playbin uri=file:///music.mp3" works and the
same doesn't work with Qt.. you have a hard time arguing that their
system is broken. That is the difference of working in the comfort
zone with a sane Linux system and going out in the field and see
what the companies actually use.

I don't have the spare time to work on multimedia things, so it is
really just my two cents.

holger