[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Nov 13 01:04:52 CET 2014

On Wednesday 12 November 2014 23:17:57 Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> I haven't done consumer products for the last two years and I would
> be happy if the following has changed. I had to listen things like:
> "GDB is not supported on this device" (because the SoC vendor didn't
> put a binary into the "SDK")...

I know, but I really wish people would stop buying boards from those vendors.
The saving of a few cents or dollars in those boards translate to more work
for us and we don't get paid for it. That's why I said it's ok to hire
consultants to fix the problem. When the accountants come in later and figure
out that it cost more than going with a better vendor, maybe we'll effect
change.

> Anyway, if "gst-launch playbin uri=file:///music.mp3" works and the
> same doesn't work with Qt.. you have a hard time arguing that their
> system is broken. That is the difference of working in the comfort
> zone with a sane Linux system and going out in the field and see
> what the companies actually use.

That's my point: we have to provide scripts that test GStreamer so we can be
confident it's properly configured, providing the functionality we need. If that
command above is representative, then great.