[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Thu Nov 13 08:21:38 CET 2014

On 13/11/14 01:04, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On Wednesday 12 November 2014 23:17:57 Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
>> I haven't done consumer products for the last two years and I would
>> be happy if the following has changed. I had to listen things like:
>> "GDB is not supported on this device" (because the SoC vendor didn't
>> put a binary into the "SDK")...
>
>I know, but I really wish people would stop buying boards from those
>vendors.
>The saving of a few cents or dollars in those boards translate to more
>work
>for us and we don't get paid for it. That's why I said it's ok to hire
>consultants to fix the problem. When the accountants come in later and
>figure
>out that it cost more than going with a better vendor, maybe we'll effect
>change.

I fully agree here. It is not Qt's responsibility to fix fundamental
issues in crappy linux distributions.

>> Anyway, if "gst-launch playbin uri=file:///music.mp3" works and the
>> same doesn't work with Qt.. you have a hard time arguing that their
>> system is broken. That is the difference of working in the comfort
>> zone with a sane Linux system and going out in the field and see
>> what the companies actually use.
>
>That's my point: we have to provide scripts that test GStreamer so we can
>be
>confident it's properly configured, providing the functionality we need.
>If that
>command above is representative, then great.

Yes, this could also simply be our qtmultimedia unit tests. Run the tests
on your target platforms and if they pass it should be reasonably safe to
assume that things are working. Of course we’re not there currently, our
coverage for QtMM is not good enough afaict.

Cheers,
Lars