[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Nov 16 21:43:03 CET 2014

Le 08/11/2014 16:00, Massimo Callegari a écrit :
> Dear Qt team,
> I am well aware you guys do your best to provide a quality
> cross-platform framework and so far you did an excellent job !
> Unfortunately I cannot say such thing for the Qt Multimedia module. If
> you stick to the provided examples (properly tailored to hide all the
> bugs) they all almost work. If you try to use the multimedia
> functionalities in a serious project and try to deploy it, then the
> pain comes around.
> I found Qt Multimedia buggy, unsupported and moreover not cross-platform.

Hi,

I started developing an educational application in QML in January and I
agree with you, Qt Multimedia is by far the weakest part of Qt Quick.
Even if we stick for now to basic feature like playing a wav or ogg
audio file, it is not well supported equally on all platforms. However
in our case we saw some improvements over times especially on Android
and Linux.

For now our main issue is the inability to play an audio file from a qrc
on MacOSX as tracked by this bug:

Regards,

Bruno.