[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 01:28:59 CET 2014

On Monday 24 November 2014 09:38:17 Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> > By the way, I read somewhere that some distros are considering not
> > shipping
> > Qt 4 as early as their next releases. I also think that's shortsighted.
> > Keep it in your repos all the way into 2017...
>
> Debian plans to not have Qt 4 after Debian 8.0 [1]. But that means
> ~2017 indeed for stable release users, the removal itself happening
> during 2015-2016 in the development version. The main reason is that
> Qt 4 upstream support officially ends, and Debian needs to support
> Jessie's Qt4 for critical/security bug fixes at least until 2018, or
> even 2020 if the LTS effort continues.

Correct, the main reason here is stable. If we keep Qt4 for Stretch it means
we will need to support it until ~2020. Considering out current manpower
that's simply impossible.

Of course, if someone wants to step up to support it all the way until 2020 we
might reconsider it.

And yes, as Timo said, the easy of porting helps here.

On the other hand, when we removed Qt3 we only had 13 packages that where not
ported.

--
Alas, I am dying beyond my means.
  Oscar Wilde, as he sipped champagne on his deathbed

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/