[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Nov 17 01:46:22 CET 2014

On Sunday 16 November 2014 22:31:45 Gianluca wrote:
> So, from my point of view, the QtMultimedia seems abandoned (I hope it’s a
> wrong deduction from a superficial view of the project). The indication of
> that deduction comes, for example, from the wiki page

It's wrong. You're looking at wrong data. Forget the wiki, look only at commit
history and the bugtracker, to see if bugs are being fixed. There were 318
commits since the beginning of the year. That's not abandoned.

> So, why there is so few resources and/or interest on developing the
> QtMultimedia module ? For me, it seems a very fundamental module that I’m
> really surprised that Digia’s do not commit strong resources on developing
> it.

Digia and now The Qt Company are companies and have business needs and
business cases. They put the resources to work where their business needs and
business cases show there's greatest advantage. If you want to influence those
business concerns, please talk to your sales rep.

If you're using the open source version of Qt, then please talk to one of the
consulting companies to see if they will do the work for you, or at least do
some work somewhere so that the resources that can work on QtMultimedia will
be freed from other work. You can also do work yourself and contribute to Qt.

Note: "so few resources" are responsible for 62% of the 318 commits.