[Development] Encoding video via QtMultimedia?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 17 17:44:47 CET 2014

On 2014-11-17 08:57, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Lopes Yoann wrote:
>>  I’d recommend to use libav (https://libav.org) to do this.
>
> I would use ffmpeg instead of libav (ffmpeg merges every commit from libav
> + their own)

Agreed. I did my own research when I had to make that decision, and
frankly I was not impressed by the apparent political situation behind
libav. (Apparently Fedora feels likewise, as they've stuck with ffmpeg
and don't even package libav as far as I can tell.)

> But QtGStreamer is probably a better solution and has fewer problems with
> licenses. ffmpeg and libav are GPLv2 if you enable some compilation flags,
> GStreamer is always LGPL.

I ended up tossing my data into a pipe to the stock ffmpeg executable,
so this is a non-issue for me. I haven't used gstreamer, though, so I
can't speak one way or another which is better.

--
Matthew