[Development] The dark side of QtMultimedia

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 08:38:17 CET 2014

> By the way, I read somewhere that some distros are considering not shipping
> Qt 4 as early as their next releases. I also think that's shortsighted. Keep
> it in your repos all the way into 2017...

Debian plans to not have Qt 4 after Debian 8.0 [1]. But that means
~2017 indeed for stable release users, the removal itself happening
during 2015-2016 in the development version. The main reason is that
Qt 4 upstream support officially ends, and Debian needs to support
Jessie's Qt4 for critical/security bug fixes at least until 2018, or
even 2020 if the LTS effort continues.

[1] http://perezmeyer.blogspot.fi/2014/11/early-announce-qt4-removal-in-jessie1.html

-Timo