[Development] Clarification needed for Qt Script's future over QJSEngine/Value

Hausmann Simon Simon.Hausmann at theqtcompany.com
Wed Nov 26 20:15:20 CET 2014

Hi,

You are right, we need to add a few more features to QJSEngine.

I'm not so much in favor of the default prototype for meta type api anymore, as it promotes the creation of slow conversion code I think. If you peek at my gerrit dashboard then you can see that I'm about 80% done with a series for gadget support that will allow you to expose your own value types without a conversion needed.

In theory we could build that up with some help from moc to the extend that the jit accesses your Q_PROPERTY members directly.

I'm hesitant to expose engine internals because that really hurt us last time. But I'm all in favor of adding some of the qml extension js APIs by default, such as qlocale extensions etc.

There's some low hanging fruit there, so contributions  are welcome :)

Simon