[Development] Building Creator's qbsprojectmanager and qbsplugin with external qbs

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at digia.com
Mon Oct 6 10:51:28 CEST 2014

On 10/04/2014 08:36 PM, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> Hi! A fellow maintainer in Debian has packaged qbs as a separate source. So we
> though of building qtcreator's qbsprojectmanager and qbs plugin with it.
>
> This seems not supported right now "out of the box"

Hm, what do you mean by that? The project files are supposed to prefer
an external qbs over the one coming from the submodule. Admittedly, this
is not well-tested at the moment, as you have found out.

>(but could easily be done
> with config.test stuff [0]), so I disabled building the embedded qbs source
> (to avoid wasting build time) and then I setted up QBS_INSTALL_DIR so the
> build system can find it.

The latter should be all that's required.

> Then I got to the point in where the qbsprojectmanager needs hostosinfo.h
> which is not provided by qbs by default nor as a private header/lib.

That's a bug. Creator must not include this private header. I will
provide a fix.

> Adding
> the header is clearly not enough as the symbols it references are still not
> present with a normal qbs installation.
>
> So, is there any plan to make this possible? Is it desirable?

It's the intended use case for distributions, in fact.

> What needs to be done?

In theory, nothing. In practice... well, I guess we'll see.

Christian