[Development] The life of a file name and other possibly mal-encoded strings on non-Windows systems

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 02:44:54 CEST 2014

> Hi Julien,
>
> On Tuesday 07 October 2014 14:30:59 Julien Blanc wrote:
> > However, i agree that changing this would :
> > * break a lot of code
>
> No, it cannot, if, as I propose, it's added to Qt 5.
>
> > * permit only to solve really lower level / corner case issues
>
> The value lies _also_ in being able to iterate over "weird" filenames
> (where
> weird simply means plugging in a USB stick into an otherwise UTF-8-only
> system).

Qt doesn't mount that USB stick, Qt doesn't manage mounting [and whatever
else system-wide] flags and settings; so should Qt ever care about some
platform/misconfiguration issues?
IMO, issues like this one should (or even must) be fixed at a platform
level, whilst high-level frameworks should not even try to workaround them.
This is exactly what we were decided to do with the "space character(s) at
the end of file name" issue on Windows, BTW.

Regards,
Konstantin