[Development] The life of a file name and other possibly mal-encoded strings on non-Windows systems

Al-Khanji Louai louai.al-khanji at theqtcompany.com
Thu Oct 9 08:16:26 CEST 2014

It's not a platform bug. It's an application/framework (Qt) bug.

Unix paths are just a byte array, where certain bytes have special meaning (mostly just '/'). Passing around those byte arrays from/to platform functions will always work correctly.

The problem is that Qt tries to interpret those byte strings by converting them to unicode for use inside QString. There's no guarantee that this conversion will succeed using the current system encoding, as the file name may have previously been encoded with a different encoding.

On Unix, the "correct" way to handle paths is to never encode/decode the byte array.

Showing a path in a UI is a separate issue from just passing it around and/or modifying it.

-- Louai