[Development] QSettings refactor updates

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 10 11:57:23 CEST 2014

On 10-Oct-14 11:48, Morten Johan Sørvig wrote:

> I see this as two separate use cases:
> 1) Cross-platform API for managing application settings.
> 2) API for reading native settings, following the conventions of the platform
>
> To what degree was QSettings successful in combining these? Focusing on ini+json as supported formats will certainly simplify the implementation work.

For the Windows registry, QSettings is quite convenient to use, though
there's no real benefit of using the registry compared to ini files.

But there are idosyncrasies of the Windows registry that are IMO out of
scope for QSettings. See QTBUG-2894 for example.
I think that QConfig should only cover use case 1, and native wrapper
classes can handle case 2.

BR,

Joerg