[Development] QSettings refactor updates

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 10 13:27:20 CEST 2014

On Oct 10, 2014, at 11:48 AM, Morten Johan Sørvig <morten.sorvig at digia.com> wrote:

>>> Mac people: do we need access to plist files?
>>
>> Plist is the format for application and other settings on OS X, and there are native tools for nicely editing these. Ini is highly alien on OS X.
>> So, I’d answer yes.
>
> On the other hand, git uses the ini file format for the config files also on OS X.

git is a command line tool, and used by a very specific audience.

> I see this as two separate use cases:
> 1) Cross-platform API for managing application settings.

We regularly have people which complain that Qt Creator application settings do not follow platform convention on OS X, because they do not find a qt creator plist in ~/Library/Preferences, or actually there is one that contains some settings coming from Qt (NSNavLastRootDirectory, PMPrintingExpandedState...., some WebKit stuff, and a few more), but not the actual application settings.

> 2) API for reading native settings, following the conventions of the platform

What kind of native settings are you thinking about here (on OS X)?