[Development] Qt3D Examples

Svenn-Arne Dragly s at dragly.com
Mon Oct 13 13:39:32 CEST 2014

On 13. okt. 2014 13:13, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> On Monday 13. October 2014 11.49.01 Sean Harmer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> somewhat of a meta question around Milian's recent email. Qt3D is
>> obviously going to need a lot of examples to show how to implement
>> various techniques and methods. 3D work in general is notorious of
>> requiring fairly large assets to make interesting and visually pleasing
>> examples e.g. textures (diffuse, specular, bump, alpha, etc) and meshes
>> being the most common.
>>
>> Rather than clogging up the main Qt3D git repo with these, do you think
>> that we should have a separate repo for the Qt3D examples and their
>> assets? Is there a precedent for this or any other options?
> I don't have an "authoritative" answer, but one possible option would be an
> sub-module that contains the assets for examples or (easier?) separate the Qt
> 3d examples and their assets into a standalone git repository.

I support this. Having large Qt3D examples in a submodule seems like a
good solution.

However, I would still like smaller examples that are easy to run and
test to be available in the default git repository (and binary
installations). Such as simple lighting, camera handling, animation,
etc. This will make it easier for newcomers to test Qt3D without having
to download the huge asset repository.

Best regards,
Svenn-Arne Dragly