[Development] Branching scheme & bugs

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Oct 14 09:57:29 CEST 2014

On Tuesday 14 October 2014 18:13:54 Ben McGinnes wrote:
> > After a long time, I finally found time again to help Qt forward (at least
> > that is what I hope  ). I have a few questions regarding the 'new'
> > branching scheme:
> > 1. Is this somewhere documented?
> > 2. Where do bug fixes go? I talked to Peppe regarding this, and according
> > to him, bugs should be committed to branch of the version the bug first
> > manifested itself. Is this correct, as to my knowledge the 5.3 branch is
> > read-only? 3. Where do new features go?
>
> I too would like to know where the bugs are lodged

Bug fixes go to the oldest branch where the fix is applicable, not the branch
where the bug manifests.

That is, the target depends on the patch itself, not what it's correcting. If
the patch is too intrusive for Qt 5.3, then it should go to 5.4 even if 5.3 is
affected by the bug. If it's a change of behaviour, it should go to either 5.4
or dev.