[Development] Qt3D Examples

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Tue Oct 14 10:44:39 CEST 2014

On 14/10/2014 09:36, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> [...]

For light-weight examples that is fine in some cases but then you open a
can of worms with queries like "so how do I just use a texture or mesh
from disk rather than tweaking shaders or writing a ton of C++?" and
"why are my generated textures horribly aliased?" which is a whole topic
in it's own right. Also generating interesting meshes in code is
non-trivial and a huge time sink, especially when you need texture
coords, tangents, normals etc.

I think putting simple examples in the qt3d repo and additional examples
that use heavier assets such as meshes form modelling tools, higher-res
textures, cubemaps, etc into a new qt3d-examples repo would solve both
problems.

The examples in the qt3d repo should show how to do the basics that
don't depend upon a lot of data e.g. using cameras, simple geometric
meshes, basic materials etc. Then the new repo would contain more
visually pleasing examples closer to expected real-world usage but
remaining an optional download to those that are interested.

Cheers,

Sean