[Development] QVariant with custom type to QML

Kurt Pattyn pattyn.kurt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 13:06:07 CEST 2014

Hi,

supplying a QVariant property containing a custom type towards QML does not work (even if it is registered as a metatype).

Currently I am explicitly converting the custom type to something QML understands, like:

if (variant.canConvert<MyCustomType1>()) {
    MyCustomType1 t = variant.value<MyCustomType1>();
    //stream as QVariantMap
} else if (variant.canConvert<MyCustomType2>() {
    MyCustomType2 t = variant.value<MyCustomType2>();
    //stream as QVariantMap
} …

Is there a conversion method available that makes it possible to ‘automagically’ convert the custom type to a type suitable for QML?
Something like: MyCustomType1::toQmlType() …

Or can I use one of the QMetaType::registerConverter() to define a conversion from a POCO to a QML type?

Note: the custom types are currently only containing data; so, no methods need to be proxied or marshalled to QML.

Cheers,

Kurt