[Development] Calculating JIRA bug priorities

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at theqtcompany.com
Wed Oct 15 11:05:58 CEST 2014

Well, my issue with this is that it has only some 'hard' hints for P0, P1.  It doesn't actually say much about P2, P3, P4, P5. In practice we tend to but a _lot_ of stuff in the P2 bucket, and don't use P3, P4, P5 that much.

Some stats to back this up: Here's the numbers of unresolved Qt bugs that affects any Qt 5.3, 5.4 JIRA versions, split by priority:

P0: 3
P1: 139
P2: 847
P3: 428
P4: 90
P5: 7

So, we've more bugs in P2 than in all the other buckets combined! Ideally we should spread this out somewhat more, to have a better visibility of things that are important, and things that aren't _that_ important ;)

> Your calculation approach depends a bit less on intuition and might be helpful
> to some. For others might applied common sense be sufficient. ;) Also, bug
> priorities can change over time due to changed customer requirements and
> whatnot (those unknowns in your algo that add numbers).
> IMO it's not worth it to invent a process to calculate such things.

Fair enough, nobody is of course forced to use this ;) I'm personally always a bit confused what is a P3, P4, P5, that's why I started this.

Regards

Kai