[Development] [FYI] new git-gpush features, a.k.a. the smart way of pushing to gerrit

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Fri Oct 24 12:05:50 CEST 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:45:21AM +0200, Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> On 24-Oct-14 11:37, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> >> What is rationale for the "technical enforcement"?
> >>
> > years of preaching "don't rebase unnecessarily" and "don't create
> > spurious dependencies" being mostly ineffective. "i pushed an update to
> > your change, take care not to overwrite it accidentally" being futile on
> > a regular basis. people demanding ridiculously short review cycles,
> > because waiting for a review "holds them up for 'process' reasons". etc.
> > iow, the usual results of inattentivenes, indifference (unless one is
> > the reviewer affected by it, of course), impatience, and sheer laziness.
> > and sometimes even genuine mistakes.
>
> I for one already did this manually where it made sense.

did it ever occur to you that what you deem sufficient might not be
viewed that way by the receiving end?

> Some of us don't.

yes. what would be your *good* reason to accept this given a way to get
it right, always, at zero cost?

> Anyways, you missed the chance to convince people from the awesomeness
> of your script before pissing everybody off with your megalomania.

i don't need to convince anyone of its awesomeness - the script will do
that itself. otoh, your obstinate refusal to even try it doesn't speak
for *your* character. in fact, it reminds me of a querulous, defiant
child below ten.