[Development] [Interest] Direct-lookup translation, even for English (was Re: get english translation)

Saether Jan-Arve Jan-Arve.Saether at digia.com
Tue Sep 2 13:56:21 CEST 2014

> But even if it were not for the enum-lookup implementation that they
> insisted on, our assumption that English needs no translation does not
> fit the multi-team workflow.

Yes, we should not assume that English needs no translation. As a matter of fact I don't know where (or why) we assume that. We should assume that the "engineering english" ideally needs a english translation (but for convenience it can be omitted).

Actually, some of the i18n features of Qt _requires_ you to provide an English translation. This is the case for the plural forms, where the engineer typically writes.

 tr("Found %n item(s)", 0, m_numberOfItemsFound);

And Qt will pick the singular/plural translation (that came from the translation file) depending on the value of m_numberOfItemsFound.

Jan Arve

(I took the liberty to remove the CC to interest at qt-project.org)