[Development] [Interest] Direct-lookup translation, even for English (was Re: get english translation)

Kobus Jaroslaw Jaroslaw.Kobus at digia.com
Wed Sep 3 08:25:06 CEST 2014

> Actually, some of the i18n features of Qt _requires_ you to provide an English translation.
> This is the case for the plural forms, where the engineer typically writes.

> tr("Found %n item(s)", 0, m_numberOfItemsFound);

> And Qt will pick the singular/plural translation (that came from the translation file)
>  depending on the value of m_numberOfItemsFound.

Can't we just provide some tr() overload, in which you could also specify plural and paucal forms in source code, next to the number? E.g.

tr("Found %n item" /*singular*/, "Found %n items" /*paucal*/, "Found %n items" /*plural*/, m_numberOfItemsFound);

In this way the English in the source code could be good enough.

Jarek