[Development] Changing GLdouble typedef in src/opengl/qgl.h

Gunnar Sletta gunnar at sletta.org
Thu Sep 4 08:10:23 CEST 2014

On 03 Sep 2014, at 22:20, Fredrik Höglund <fredrik at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 September 2014, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On Wednesday 03 September 2014 07:54:14 Saikrishna Arcot wrote:
>>> I should have mentioned that these libraries are using Qt 4, and it would be
>>> non-trivial to change them to Qt 5 just for compilation purposes.
>>>
>>> I wasn't aware that doubles weren't supported on GLES. Based on that, and
>>> rereading the forum post here
>>> (http://forum.openscenegraph.org/viewtopic.php?t=11504[1]), it seems like
>>> there are two standards:
>>>
>>> 1. Accept doubles, use double for internal processing (if any), and cast it
>>> to float when calling the appropriate GLES function. 2. Accept and use only
>>> floats for both internal processing and calling GLES functions.
>>>
>>> I wonder which one might be better to follow.
>>
>> We can't / won't change QtOpenGL API any more, especially not in Qt 4.
>>
>> If you need to, please apply a workaround so your application builds. But from
>> the point of view of the Qt Project, this problem is solved in Qt 5, with
>> QtGui and the new OpenGL classes.
>
> It is not solved in Qt 5. qopengl.h has the same typedef.
>
> Fredrik

yeah, I spoke too soon.. If we were to apply https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/93984/ it would be fixed though :)

The change that introduced them was the S60 integration back in the Nokia days. I suspect it is due to make examples and stuff (which was mostly desktop 1.x at the time) compile, but there might be something else I'm not aware of.

I did a test on linux configured with -opengl es2, including qtdeclarative, qtquickcontrols and qtmultimedia and it all still compiles.

-
Gunnar