[Development] New company name for Qt part of Digia and unified web site

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Tue Sep 16 20:50:58 CEST 2014

On 16/09/14 16:51, "Mark Gaiser" <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at digia.com> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I’m happy to tell you that we’re making significant progress towards the
>> new unified web page that I’ve first been talking about at the
>>contributor
>> summit. We just launched the first stage of it on http://qt.io. For now
>> qt.digia.com is going to redirect to it. I hope you will like the new
>>web
>> page. Please have a look and give us your feedback.
>>
>> In addition, we also now have a new company name for the Qt part of
>>Digia.
>> It’s simply ‘The Qt Company’.
>>
>> For more details check out my blog at
>>
>>http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2014/09/16/the-qt-company-introduces-a-unif
>>ie
>> d-website-and-20e25-monthly-indie-mobile-package/ and of course
>> http://qt.io
>>
>> Moving forward, we would like to slowly move some more pieces that are
>>now
>> on qt-project.org over to qt.io. We don’t have concrete plans yet on
>>when
>> and what will move, but would probably want to start with simple things
>> such as the documentation. Any feedback on this is of course also more
>> than welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lars

>I like the site! It looks clear and to the point imho.
>
>But i kinda fail to see the point in having - yet another - domain for Qt.
>I mean, we've had:
>- Trolltech
>- qt.nokia...
>- qt.digia...
>- qt-project
>and now we have qt.io. Yes, it's a nice short domain, but having
>domain changes every few years or so isn't very good for the search
>results.

I can assure you that worse search results is the last thing we want to
get. We can do all changes incrementally, and ensure that search engines
can follow.

What hurt us most in the past was that similar content was distributed
over several sites (like the Qt docs that were still on nokia.com for a
long time). Worse, we couldn't do anything about the content on some of
the other sites.

Our goal here is to make sure we get to one authoritative place where you
can find all relevant information. We can then add relevant redirects and
other hints to make sure search engines will be able to follow nicely.

Cheers,
Lars