[Development] New company name for Qt part of Digia and unified web site

Andre Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Tue Sep 16 22:02:47 CEST 2014

On 16-9-2014 20:50, Knoll Lars wrote:
> On 16/09/14 16:51, "Mark Gaiser" <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at digia.com> wrote:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> I’m happy to tell you that we’re making significant progress towards the
>>> new unified web page that I’ve first been talking about at the
>>> contributor
>>> summit. We just launched the first stage of it on http://qt.io. For now
>>> qt.digia.com is going to redirect to it. I hope you will like the new
>>> web
>>> page. Please have a look and give us your feedback.
>>>
>>> In addition, we also now have a new company name for the Qt part of
>>> Digia.
>>> It’s simply ‘The Qt Company’.
>>>
>>> For more details check out my blog at
>>>
>>> http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2014/09/16/the-qt-company-introduces-a-unif
>>> ie
>>> d-website-and-20e25-monthly-indie-mobile-package/ and of course
>>> http://qt.io
>>>
>>> Moving forward, we would like to slowly move some more pieces that are
>>> now
>>> on qt-project.org over to qt.io. We don’t have concrete plans yet on
>>> when
>>> and what will move, but would probably want to start with simple things
>>> such as the documentation. Any feedback on this is of course also more
>>> than welcome.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Lars

>> I like the site! It looks clear and to the point imho.
>>
>> But i kinda fail to see the point in having - yet another - domain for Qt.
>> I mean, we've had:
>> - Trolltech
>> - qt.nokia...
>> - qt.digia...
>> - qt-project
>> and now we have qt.io. Yes, it's a nice short domain, but having
>> domain changes every few years or so isn't very good for the search
>> results.
> I can assure you that worse search results is the last thing we want to
> get. We can do all changes incrementally, and ensure that search engines
> can follow.
>
> What hurt us most in the past was that similar content was distributed
> over several sites (like the Qt docs that were still on nokia.com for a
> long time). Worse, we couldn't do anything about the content on some of
> the other sites.
>
> Our goal here is to make sure we get to one authoritative place where you
> can find all relevant information. We can then add relevant redirects and
> other hints to make sure search engines will be able to follow nicely.

What was wrong with qt-project in that respect? And what is the status
of that site (and project) now then?

It sounds a bit like the xkcd standards comic [1]: adding a new domain
to unite all the information from the existing ones...

André

[1] http://xkcd.com/927/