[Development] www.qt.io/download-open-source is broken

William Hallatt goblincoding at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 09:40:50 CEST 2014

On 18 September 2014 09:07, Knoll Lars <Lars.Knoll at digia.com> wrote:

> The automatic download is a bit overdone currently, as it also downloads
> on back/forward navigations and doesn’t remember that the package has
> already been downloaded once. So we should consider whether that’s the
> best approach or whether an approach more similar to the old download page
> is better. It’s one more click, but then it’s very explicit, and people
> will get exactly the package they asked for.

Although one could probably argue that users should be paying attention to
what they're doing, the "re-download" on navigation could potentially have
a nasty side-effect.  Many Qt users (myself included) live in countries
where access to uncapped bandwidth is not a given and it could mean a nasty
internet bill if you accidentally trigger an additional download that
pushes you over your cap (e.g. many of my colleagues have 3 - 5 GB monthly
caps so an extra ~700MB obviously makes a big difference).

Perhaps just something to consider :)