[Development] New company name for Qt part of Digia and unified web site

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 15:53:32 CEST 2014

I enjoy the new look and the fluidity of the site. It conveys a sense
of what developers can achieve graphically with the technology
available in the Qt framework.

One thing I feel that could be improved is http://www.qt.io/product/
-- it gives me the impression that Qt is a commercial-only product
(the starting price is 20€/month). It doesn't even hint that a
community version is available.

On 18 September 2014 08:26, Lorn Potter <lorn.potter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/14 05:09, Kuba Ober wrote:
>> One of the reasons I loath to recommend to the management to go back to paying for Qt licenses is that we’d have been sponsoring what amounts to 2 or 3 major rebrandings and “revamps”, and it seems like throwing money down the drain. As a user, I want good code. The website, as far as I’m concerned, can be text-only. Any money that the owners of Qt spend for anything besides the code is, to us as the end users,*our*  money burned for frivolities.
>
> speak for yourself.
>
> I think it looks quite nice. They've done a good job making it look
> appealing and useful.
>
> While text only web site might be ok with you, managers or directors
> scoping out a dev framework for the first time might be wary about
> paying for something with a web site from 1980's
>
> Quality of code also runs to the web servers. I am a bit wary about dev
> apps/frameworks/tools whose web site looks like gak.

+1

If you are already world-renowned, you could get away with a text only
site (like Warren Buffett: http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/ ).
However, if you are not yet world-renowned, taking this route would do
no favours for your business -- it's akin to meeting potential
corporate clients while dressed in an old T-shirt, shorts, and
slippers.

It's not frivolities; it's an investment.

Regards,
Sze-Howe