[Development] puppet as configurator for test farm

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at digia.com
Fri Sep 26 10:17:57 CEST 2014

On Thursday 25. September 2014 16.47.43 Michael Cherkasov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just faced with task that I think you already resolved. I need to
> configure
> a farm of test machines(linux, windows, macosx, solaris) for testing.
> To prevent false test failure I need to turnoff screensavers, autoupdates,
> install fake printers and so on.
> I believe you already has this infrastructure, so could you please share
> you
> knowledge about this?
> What tools do you use?
> May you have bunch of scripts to simplify machine configuration?
> or may be you use centralized configuration like puppet?
>
> I'll really appreciate if you shed light on this questions.

You can find some of that in the qtqa/sysadmin repository in Gerrit, however
unfortunately this infrastructure isn't maintained and in sync with the actual
test machines. A fair bit of work is done by hand on those.

However on the upside I've started work on packer templates and provisioning
(based on chef) for a new machine setup and once that becomes production
quality I'd like to share it in the Qt project.

Simon