[Development] QGView and deprecated indirect painting

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Wed Apr 1 02:28:50 CEST 2015

Hi Trolls!

Note: I'm sending this email to qt-dev not to qt-interest because it
deals with deprecated features and API changes of the Qt Graphics View
framework.

QGraphicsView has an optimisation flag called "IndirectPainting", which
when set "restore the old painting algorithm that calls
QGraphicsView::drawItems() and QGraphicsScene::drawItems()." and is
marked as "To be used only for compatibility with old code."

I would like to use this feature to achieve per view painting controls
such as:
- item transparency and colors (effect)
- drawing order

In my context, there is one main view (the working view) and other
auxiliary views (typically in dock widgets), a picture being worth a
thousand word, here is an example of the sort of things I'm after:
http://techdocs.altium.com/display/ADOH/Working+with+the+Board+Insight+System#WorkingwiththeBoardInsightSystem-SingleLayerMode

So, my question is: Do you guys plan to remove this feature, and if yes
(which seems likely to me), how could I then control colors, opacity and
drawing order on a per view basis?

I think it is a very good feature to allow the view to take control of
painting over the QGItems and the QGScene. (on the side, i think as well
that it is way better to let the view handle mouse and keyboard events
instead of the scene or the items)

Thanks,
Krys