[Development] Qt Quick Controls for Embedded

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Wed Apr 8 17:35:07 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 08, 2015 at 04:39:52PM +0200, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 08, 2015 04:30:23 PM Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > what's the point of keeping them in the same repo when you split it at
> > the top anyway? you just break the uniformity of the repo layout, which
> > is both ugly and traditionally a nightmare build system wise (cf.
> > webkit).
>
> The idea was to make code-sharing easy

is this actually planned? is it expect to happen to a significant
degree?
if the answer is yes, then the top-level split is not the right way to
go anyway.

> and to lessen the burden on everyone to check out yet another
> repository etc.

this doesn't sound all that convincing.

> As for the build system, I see it similar to how the qt5.git meta module
> behaves - just two subdirs for the qtquickcontrols repo and that's it.

i'm already having nightmares.

> It seems that re-using the name will also cause trouble with
> documentation and tooling,

documentation and any kind of use works on the module level, not at the
repo level.

> so ideally we find the perfect new name for both module and
> repository. Sadly we didn't manage to come up with a great name in a
> few hours of brain storming.

i think quick controls 2 will work just fine. it's not like people are
not used to "asynchronous" versioning in the qt quick world.

but anyway, here are some more ideas:
- the classic: qt quick controls NG
- the diet: qt quick controls light
- the thesaurus: qt quick widgets