[Development] Rotating JPEG images by default

Rainer Keller rainer.keller at theqtcompany.com
Fri Apr 17 09:10:43 CEST 2015

Hi,

there was a change to introduce handling of exif orientation when
Two bugreports complaining Qt is not handling image orientation caused
me to fix this. But now we got bugreports claiming the opposite.

In my opinion the orientation information is an essential part of the
image and should be applied by default. Taking a picture with your
camera users would expect it to look the same in a QImage as it was
taken. Therefor it should respect the orientation by default.

There are different implementations on other projects. For TIFF format
the rotation is also applied. But in webbrowsers the rotation is usually
not handled and must be enabled by an additional CSS flag.

Regards,
Rainer