[Development] HEADS-UP: Qt 5.6 feature freeze and branching coming

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Mon Aug 10 20:01:18 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 10:27:18AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 07 August 2015 10:06:33 Heikkinen Jani wrote:
> > So if nothing new turns out later today/during the weekend Qt 5.6 feature
> > freeze is on Monday morning and we will start branching. We will use soft
> > branching like earlier so there should be enough time to finalize ongoing
> > changes for Qt 5.6 in 'dev' & start using '5.6' branch for Qt 5.6
> > development. And like earlier final downmerge from 'dev' to '5.6' will
> > happen ~ after a week (Most probably Monday 17th Aug).
>
> In the soft branching period, we're still allowed to commit new features to
> dev that have been ready for some time, correct?

yeah, there is some confusion going on here ...
the "vibe" seems to be that big things (new classes, etc.) should be
held back at this point, because the FF is already slipping. but don't
worry about "everyday stuff".

the 5.6 branches already exist at this point; the downmerge (and actual
freeze) will happen next monday.

as usual, fregl and me are taking retargeting requests (though it makes
little sense to move existing changes from dev to 5.6 until thursday or
so, so please don't cause unnecessary traffic for us).