[Development] extending the cocoa native style via a plugin: feasible?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 14:33:55 CET 2015

On Tuesday December 01 2015 11:54:44 Aleix Pol wrote:

> I don't really understand what you're asking for either.

And I why you were replying to me only and not the list?

> Why can't the QPlatformTheme implementation in Qt be extended?

This you'd have to ask yourself somewhere where people who are entitled to answer can do so.

My guess is that it can be, but that it'd be something that would be considered, if ever, for a next major version. It is like other functionality that was moved from KDE4 into Qt because it had a proven added value.

IMHO, such added value will be more apparent if it can be demonstrated on more than a single platform ("Plasma" in this case).

> Why does it have anything to do with KDE?

Because were talking about font role presets, colour palettes (and icon themes) that are defined by KDE?

Evidently it's possible for any application that wishes to do so to use whatever they please even in pure Qt applications. That already happens; cf. VirtualBox or Parallel Desktop or even Qt Creator.

Actually, I think I ought to answer with a question:
what makes KDE so special that it needs font role presets, colour palettes etc., why didn't it extend the QPlatformTheme in Qt itself?

> QPlatformTheme and QStyle aren't tied and it should stay this way.

I wonder if that isn't exactly what I'm getting at ... that they should be untied to a further extent on OS X.