[Development] RFC: more liberal 'auto' rules?

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Fri Dec 4 19:39:57 CET 2015

On Friday 04 December 2015 14:12:00 Rafael Roquetto wrote:
> Until you need to change your code and call any method of bar.

QtC prints the signature of the function when you hover the mouse over it —
since _ages_. It also completes function names of auto variables. Since
_ages_. Even if it should be the case that it doesn't, yet, show the deduced
type when you hover over the 'auto', the lhs can be inspected by hovering, and
the rhs's type is clear[1].

But ok, for those of us using vi, I motion to ban function chaining like

    le->setText(foo.description());

or

   foo->bar()->setFaz(m_factory->createFaz(foo->bar()->type()));

Everyone in favour of restricting auto use due to readability concerns is
automatically (no pun intended) counted as in-favour of the motion, with
prejudice.

Thanks,
Marc

[1] If it's not clear, we need to ban the use of template functions.

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt Experts