[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Sun Feb 8 09:57:21 CET 2015

On Thursday 05 February 2015 09:29:02 Dr. Nico Wallmeier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> please keep in mind that in the enterprise environment Windows CE /
> Windows Embedded Compact is still an important platform!

I understand that, but to which point?
Mac OS X 10.6 was also an important platform used by about 10% of the mac
users.  Yet, we decided to drop support for it.

The question is how relevant it will be in 2016? Will there be so many users
that really can't upgrade to the next windows, and that are not willing to
stay with Qt 5.5? Are those buying enough licenses to compensate for the
effort of supporting them.

It would be nice to have some data to help to take a decision.

Personally, I know that MSVC 2008 causes me troubles with
https://codereview.qt-project.org/98658/ , it does not pass CI with 2008 and i
have not idea why.
Having the possibility to use decltype would simplify some the
QObject::connect code.
Some upstream projects such as chromium does not support this platform
anymore.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org