[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 13:03:32 CET 2015

> ...and you're keeping up to date with all the security patches
> to Qt, Chromium, etc.? If not, your "better experience" is leaving
> your application's users vulnerable.

We have the capability to turn around an update quickly if necessary and
try to use system libraries where possible, especially for things like
networking, but this misses the point. The majority of desktop users, even
technically knowledgeable ones, care first and foremost about having
working tools.

The trade-offs look different if you're talking about a piece of
infrastructure (eg. a web server) and for that domain, distro policies
around bundling make a lot of sense.