[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Feb 8 19:25:51 CET 2015

On Sunday 08 February 2015 19:15:18 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> Il 08/02/2015 17:58, Thiago Macieira ha scritto:
> > So we come back to this question again and again: if you can't upgrade the
> > OS and upgrade the compiler, why do you want to upgrade Qt?
>
> Because people want to use the latest features / bugfixes for developing
> their product, and yet they need to target such platforms...

Indeed, but that is putting the burden on us. They should instead insist with
their vendors to get a newer platform and put the burden on them. Or next
time, make sure you use a device that can run Linux so you can easily rebuild
with Yocto -- every 6 months you get a new toolchain and sysroot with the
latest updates. I'm going to say that if you chose a vendor that won't
upgrade, it's your fault and you should live with the consequences.

Anyway, every time this comes up, the answer is the same: we will drop those
platforms once they become too much of a burden to support and prevent us from
doing new things. That's why OS X 10.6 went away.