[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Björn Breitmeyer bjoern.breitmeyer at kdab.com
Mon Feb 9 09:26:53 CET 2015

Well start with the easiest understanable reasons. People come from old
platforms whith old applications and they don't know what their upcoming
hardware platforms will be, so they decide why not go to Qt first and then
decide, which platform is usable for us. Thats a pretty common theme and if
you stop supporting the old platforms you likely won't get those customers.
Besides its something were you can earn money.

Putting pressure on a vendor is in most cases not achieving much. Even really
really big companies are screwed if some important vendor in their stack isn't
getting their job done, its one of the reasons why the chosen hardware is most
likely not bleeding edge, as there are timeframes to meet until product
release.

Then there are industries which need certified operating systems for their
field, they don't have the option to use the newest yocto and if they decided
to use one kind of os the certification process most likely binds them to this
os for the complete product lifetime.

So yes they are putting the burden on us, because they can't reliably put them
somewhere else. You might ask why should we take the burden, because those
companies are paying quite a bit of money too get what they need if it
actually helps.

And yes of course we would like to use newer compiler versions, but in most
cases with the option c++11 support how much extra pain do we have? Embedded
is just not like desktop that even goes for gcc on linux.

--
Björn Breitmeyer | bjoern.breitmeyer at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Germany: +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ): +46-563-540090