[Development] Upgrading the sources to C++11 keywords (Q_NULLPTR, etc.)

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Sun Feb 8 21:08:01 CET 2015

On Sunday 08 February 2015 20:06:14 André Pönitz wrote:
> > 3. nullptr - On top of the warning, which I wasn't aware about, I find
> > the
> >
> >    code easier to read. It's a mouthful, but it's what everyone will be
> >using five years from now, so we might as well start it now.
>
> The original discussion was about Q_NULLPTR. You talk about nullptr.
>
> This doesn't make the discussion easier, especially if the difference
> between them makes a difference to people's willingness to use them.

Q_NULLPTR _is_ nullptr. There's no difference that we can rely or should be
relying on, even though I haste to note that you can implement nullptr_t with
C++11 semantics in C++98, at the expense of an #include, too.

> > I treat this as a whitespace error, meaning I correct it whenever I touch
> > a line of code for unrelated changes.
>
> I'd prefer you didn't before this is the official rule.

Absent an official rule, it's up to the reviewers to decide on a case-by-case
basis.

> > [...] Algorithmic ineffciency.
>
> All valid, but coming as an off-topic appendix to a mail a month late
> in a disputed thread might not be the best start to bring the topic
> on the table.

Well, _you_ saw it, so there's hope :)

Thanks,
Marc