[Development] Deprecating modules with 5.5

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 9 22:52:34 CET 2015

Guido Seifert wrote:
> Did something like that happen before?

Yes, RHEL has never shipped QtWebKit, as far as I know because of support
(especially with security updates) concerns. (They're likely to also not
ship QtWebEngine, but that will be a topic for RHEL 8. QtWebEngine did not
exist yet when RHEL 7 was released.) They also ship kdelibs with
Plasma::WebView patched out, kdepim without KMail (because it depends on
QtWebKit), Qt Assistant built against QTextBrowser, and similar such feature
removals/degradation throughout KDE.

If all that stuff moves to QtWebEngine, we will likely end up with Fedora
and Debian getting similarly crippled. :-(

        Kevin Kofler