[Development] Reproducible Qt ; the purpose of QLibraryInfo::buildDate

Alejandro Exojo suy at badopi.org
Mon Feb 16 08:42:39 CET 2015

El Sunday 15 February 2015, Sune Vuorela escribió:
> On 2015-02-15, Alejandro Exojo <suy at badopi.org> wrote:
> > People might rely on the function in proprietary applications in ways
> > that are impossible to predict.
>
> Every time we fix a bug, we might introduce regressions for people
> relying on the bugs. That's not a reason for not fixing a bug.

I fail to see how changing QLibraryInfo::buildDate to return a hardcoded
string instead of the intended build date is fixing a bug. Is obvious that you
are breaking a feature in order to gain a different one that you think is more
valuable.

I could agree with you on this, but not at the cost of breaking a previous
feature in a minor release of Qt. It worries me a lot to see this kind of
changes in minor releases. It sets a precedent.

Not only that. I still think that you could have the reproducible builds
feature without introducing breakage: just fake the date. Hardcode the date
where you care about the issue, and not for everybody else. I see there is
something already available on Debian:

https://packages.debian.org/sid/sdate

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2