[Development] "qtLibraryTarget" output changed from Qt 5.3.2 to Qt 5.4.0

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Fri Feb 20 10:58:53 CET 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 10:49:21AM +0200, William Hallatt wrote:
> TARGET = QtQmlComponents
> TARGET = $$qtLibraryTarget($$TARGET)
>
> Which, for 5.3.x gave me "QtQmlComponents.dll" (on Windows obviously), but
> for 5.4 now gives me "Qt5QmlComponents.dll".
>
> I understand that this is an edge case, but I was wondering if it is
> documented anywhere that one should NOT use "Qt" tags when writing plugins
> (or for anything else for that matter)?
>
> The way I see it, this is either a bug, or it should be explicitly stated
> in the documentation (provided that it isn't somewhere I haven't found)
> that one shouldn't do it as this took me hours to resolve.

technically speaking, the function isn't documented at all and should be
considered internal.
however, all our plugin-related examples are littered with references to
it, so it would be a bit hard to sweep it under the rug.
i presume the right approach would be admitting defeat, making a new
internal function for qt, and restoring qtLibraryTarget() to its qt4
behavior.