[Development] CI failing due to tst_licenses.pl test

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Tue Feb 24 22:20:27 CET 2015

Hi,

Since nobody else has replied to this yet, my understanding of what
happened with license checks is roughly as follows. I was not
involved, so YMMV - this is all just gained from observation of what's
happened - someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.

a) someone, somewhere, made a decision to change license headers (I
don't know where this discussion happened, at least I don't recall
this happening on-list)
b) tst_licenses (or was it all qtqa tests?) were disabled, presumably
to allow a) to happen
c) license headers were changed, without checking that they actually
passed the test
d) license checks were reenabled, making everything fail
e) 5.5 got branched without this having been fixed
f) licenses were changed (again) in dev, fixing the tests
g) finally, dev was merged back down to 5.5 to fix the failures there

By my count, there's a few failures here:
* it would have been nice to have a "heads up" about the headers change.
* disabling license checks to update headers seems to have been a
pretty terrible idea
* branching 5.5 before fixing that seemed to create a lot of
additional confusion, especially without any real communication about
what was going on with all of these issues

The situation is - I think - almost back to normal, bar some modules
that aren't part of releases.

Robin