[Development] CI failing due to tst_licenses.pl test

Lorn Potter lorn.potter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 04:02:35 CET 2015

> On 25 Feb 2015, at 7:20 am, Robin Burchell <robin+qt at viroteck.net> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Since nobody else has replied to this yet, my understanding of what
> happened with license checks is roughly as follows. I was not
> involved, so YMMV - this is all just gained from observation of what's
> happened - someone else please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> a) someone, somewhere, made a decision to change license headers (I
> don't know where this discussion happened, at least I don't recall
> this happening on-list)
> b) tst_licenses (or was it all qtqa tests?) were disabled, presumably
> to allow a) to happen
> c) license headers were changed, without checking that they actually
> passed the test
> d) license checks were reenabled, making everything fail
> e) 5.5 got branched without this having been fixed
> f) licenses were changed (again) in dev, fixing the tests
> g) finally, dev was merged back down to 5.5 to fix the failures there
>
> By my count, there's a few failures here:
> * it would have been nice to have a "heads up" about the headers change.
> * disabling license checks to update headers seems to have been a
> pretty terrible idea
> * branching 5.5 before fixing that seemed to create a lot of
> additional confusion, especially without any real communication about
> what was going on with all of these issues
>
> The situation is - I think - almost back to normal, bar some modules
> that aren't part of releases.

Surely those unreleased modules would need to have/get updated licenses as well, seeing as someone most likely has a patch or script available to do so on numerous files recursively.

I know that the license headers in QtSystem are 3 years out of date... I imagine other "unreleased" modules are as well.